Monday 1 November 2010

Day 1

Today is day 1 of 30 re-focussing me on proper vegan cooking and a kick up the bum for being a lazy chef of late. My 5 and a half month old is heading towards starting solid foods and I want him to taste everything and be as good an eater as my other two kids.

So, tonight I will be mking an old favourite that I made on my vegan chef training a few years ago...its dead easy and quick, as I wont have much time with Adam at piano lessons and Rohan at Cubs!...

Sicillian Risotto

Serves 2 so will double it up

300g risotto rice
399ml soya milk
15g vegan margarine
120g parmesan - can omit or use vegan parmesan - I will omit
120g sundried tomato paste
1 onion chopped fine
1tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1.5 tsp mixed italian herbs
200g chestnut mushrooms
400ml hot water

  • heat up the pan
  • add marg and cook onions until transparent
  • add sundried tomato paste, pepper, herbs, chilli flakes, milk and water, and bring to boil
  • add rice, mix well, bring back to boil
  • simmer for 20 mins or until rice absorbed liquid
  • add mushrooms and chese and mix well. May need to add water if too dry, simmer for further 5 mins
    • I pre-cooked mushrooms, dry fried them to stop them going mushy and giving a firmer bite. 
Hoping the kids will like this too as they used to. Will post photo and comments later. :-)

1 comment: